Monday, March 1, 2010

Red and White ... and GOLD!

The men wore red and white to capture the gold. We had our own closing ceremony. Micah held our flag. Many cars drove by, honking and cheering. What a moment.
The red mittens (from the Cylka Olympic birthday party loot bag). What a fun party. Steve's food and Janna's games were great! The kids had a blast.

Gold! Way to go, Olympians. So proud to be Canadian. My favourite moments of Vancouver 2010:

3. Slovenian skier Petra Madjic competing with 4 broken ribs and a collapsed lung ... and winning a bronze medal. Wow, can you really imagine this?
2. Alexandre Bilodeau hugging his brother after winning our first gold medal on Canadian soil.
1. Joannie Rochette capturing the bronze, 4 days after the sudden death of her mother. Then, holding the flag at the closing ceremony. Beautiful. I was only 18 when my dad died of cancer. He had been ill and we knew he was near the end but I knew he would have wanted me to keep running. He died June 3, 1995 exactly at the time of my 3000 m race at the Provincial track and field Championships in Kingston. Only 2 years later my mom also died of cancer. Playing hockey at the University of Guelph and my faith in God kept me going while studying full time. Way to go, Joannie!
Proudly wearing mommy's medals after her Grimsby 1/2 Marathon win that a.m. in 1:18:14 (new PB). Next race: Around the Bay in Hamilton, 30 km.



Watching the men's hockey game. Go, CANADA!




1 comment:

cafepress.com/hitsandhobbies said...

Great post! What a fantastic two weeks it was, huh? (Or should I say, "eh"?)